Leading Coastal School – Level 3 Certificate
This course is for people who wish to become Coastal School Leaders and/or set up their own Coastal School and is a nationally recognised qualification.
Essential – A client group for practical placements
at least a level 2 qualification working with children/young people, Teaching or Youth/ Community/Play Worker qualification
a level 2 Coastal School Practitioner’s Award with extensive experience of working with children and young people
NB the new Outdoor Learning Qualification Pathways allow the completion of a Certificate in Leading Forest School AND Coastal School – ask for details.
Units studied: Supporting Learning, Play and Development in the Outdoors, Observation and Evaluation of Outdoor Learning, Sustainable Use of Natural Resources, Teach Outdoor Practical Skills, Coastal School Leader
Skills and understanding gained:
- Understanding of theories of learning, play and development, and issues that can impact on behaviour.
- Understanding of how holistic development, self-confidence and emotional literacy are supported by outdoor learning.
- Understanding of the ecology of a natural learning environment and the sustainable use of natural resources.
- Ability to assess and evaluate outdoor learning programmes.
- Ability to teach practical tasks such as the use of hand tools, tying knots, building shelters and campfire management.
- Ability to produce all the policies, procedures and strategies required for setting up a Coastal School.
- Understand the specific impact of weather and tides on the coastal environment.
It is recommended that all leaders have a Paediatric First Aid qualification which can be provided at £125 extra
at Bishops Wood Countryside Centre
24, 25 & 26 September
12, 13 & 14 November
Tutorial date TBC